[GE users] predict times

cgull matt.mcnally at virgin.net
Fri Dec 11 11:16:53 GMT 2009

Thanks again for your reply.

I'm afraid you may have lost me with the resource reservation on. I'm quite new to this SGE so sorry if i appear to be a little slow.

The problem we have is that have three 96 node clusters.  The clusters are different speeds.
We normally put 48 node (one cluster) jobs onto these machines. Jobs usually take approx 9 hours depending on which machine they run on.

Currently with SGE people can submit jobs that go onto the 48 nodes as we want. The problem then comes when they want to prioritise the jobs.
As really the priority comes from when people need their jobs finished by.
We can manually estimate when a job should end and therefore predict which machine pending jobs will start on which machine and therefore estimate how long they will take etc. And prioritise the pending queue accordingly.

It also nice to know when a cluster or half a cluster (as we run on 48 nodes) becomes available, and no more pending jobs, so that enough jobs to fill a weekend can be put onto the queue.  As people can fairly easily find extra jobs to put on if they know there is the resource available.

This currently is difficult to work out each time and would be good to have automated even if it is an estimate. But will change as jobs get added/reordered etc.

What do you think the best way we should be configuring SGE to best deal with this sort of scenario?
Is it to use the resource reservation? If so can you explain a little more or point me to more information?

Thanks again for your time on this discussion.