[GE users] debugging tight integration

fx d.love at liverpool.ac.uk
Thu Dec 17 15:34:05 GMT 2009

pollinger <harald.pollinger at sun.com> writes:

> I don't know if this was already answered, but when a process was
> started by SGE and is not a children of the shepherd when it's running,
> then it detached itself from the shepherd.
> What's the parent process ID of these processes?

They (`gamess.64.x' in the pstree below) are just children of init:

  init-+-acpid
       |-agetty
       |-console-kit-dae---61*[{console-kit-dae}]
       |-cron
       |-dbus-daemon
       |-dhcpcd
       |-4*[gamess.64.x]
       |-gmond
       |-hald---hald-runner-+-hald-addon-acpi
       |                    `-hald-addon-inpu
       |-irqbalance
       |-klogd
       |-master-+-pickup
       |        `-qmgr
       |-6*[mingetty]
       |-nscd---8*[{nscd}]
       |-ntpd
       |-portmap
       |-rpc.statd
       |-scoutd.exe
       |-sge_execd---sge_shepherd---rshd---qrsh_starter

[I realize there's junk running as I haven't properly purged our
so-called integrator's setup yet.]

I don't see anything odd in the source from a quick look, and was
particularly interested in typical things that might cause this from
experience, in the hope of avoiding all the work of debugging it
systematically.

--
(Dr) Dave Love
?E-Science?, Computing Services Department, University of Liverpool
AKA fx at gnu.org