[GE users] exclusive host use and subordinate queue

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Thu Dec 17 18:51:30 GMT 2009

Hi,

Am 17.12.2009 um 16:27 schrieb ajw:

> I have 2 queues set in grid engine.  A normal priority queue and a
> low priority queue which is subordinate to the normal priority queue.
>
> In normal (non-exclusive) use I have it configured so when a job is
> submitted to the normal priority queue any jobs running in the low
> priority queue will get killed and resubmitted.
>
> The problem comes when a normal priority job is submitted with
> excl=true and a low priority job is already running.  The normal
> priority job won't start in this situation.  I get this message:
> (-l exclusive=true) cannot run at host "xxx" because exclusive
> resource (exclusive) is already in use
>
> Is there any way to change this behavior?

no. The problem is similar to using a license of an already running job:

http://gridengine.sunsource.net/ds/viewMessage.do?
dsMessageId=228184&dsForumId=38

Once a job is scheduled, SGE will never consider it for something
like rescheduling. I assume, you use a custom terminate_method to
reschedule the job? SGE can't know this, and hence the resources are
still in use.

==

What you can try: having a special queue for exclusive jobs (one
slot) and don't request any resources in the qsub command.
Subordinated to this exclusive.q: normal.q and low.q. In the
normal.q, you have to subordinate exclusive.q (so, either 1, 2,
3, ... are running in the normal.q or only one in the exclusive.q).

-- Reuti