[GE users] qstat communication problems

russray rray at semtech.com
Fri Dec 18 22:04:32 GMT 2009

I've had a small farm running for several months now, but after what I think was  a series of yum updates, my submission nodes can no longer talk to the qmaster.  When I type qstat, I get the following:

error: commlib error: access denied (client IP resolved to host name "". This is not identical to clients host name "")
error: unable to contact qmaster using port 6444 on host "us03grid1.semnet.dom"

I can ping and ssh to us03grid1, so that communcation seems ok.  If I use gethostbyname, gethostbyaddr, gethostname, I get the following from the machines in question (using one of them as an example):

$SGE_ROOT/utilbin/lx24-x86/gethostbyname us03linux1
Hostname: us03linux1.semnet.dom
Aliases:  us03linux1
Host Address(es): 192.168.201.61

$SGE_ROOT/utilbin/lx24-x86/gethostbyaddr 192.168.201.61
Hostname: us03linux1.semnet.dom
Aliases:  us03linux1
Host Address(es): 192.168.201.61

$SGE_ROOT/utilbin/lx24-x86/gethostname
Hostname: us03linux1.semnet.dom
Aliases:  us03linux1
Host Address(es): 192.168.201.61

$SGE_ROOT/utilbin/lx24-x86/gethostbyname us03grid1
Hostname: us03grid1.semnet.dom
Aliases:
Host Address(es): 192.168.201.11

Any clues on what changed to cause this and how to fix?

Russell Ray
rray at semtech.com