[GE users] Which criteria that fairshare use to calculate priority?

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Sun Dec 20 17:08:38 GMT 2009

Hi,

Am 20.12.2009 um 04:29 schrieb kdoman:

> I used 'equal user fairshare' by followed directions here:
> http://gridengine.info/2006/01/17/easy-setup-of-equal-user-
> fairshare-policy

this is only a functional *) share, means what is running right now
in the cluster at a given point in time is equally shared. If you
want to have a fair-share which honors the past usage and have a fair
share over the last 30 days or so, you will need to setup a share-
tree policy.

-- Reuti

*) The functional share can also change the nice values of the
running jobs to target a given distribution of CPU time to users,
projects, departments but this is only useful when you have a big SMP
machine and oversubscribe it (I think, this was the original
motivation for implementing it in SGE). Otherwise changing the nice
values doesn't produce any change (i.e. if you have more or equal
cores than jobs (slots) on a machine it won't take any effect).