[GE users] Best docs to learn about subordinate queues?

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Sun Dec 20 22:40:42 GMT 2009

Hi,

Am 19.12.2009 um 23:14 schrieb bdbaddog:

> Can someone point me to a good document describing subordinate queues
> and when to use them and any other design issues?

there are several Howtos: http://gridengine.sunsource.net/howto/
howto.html or the manual http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/820-0698
page 58.

It's often used to have immediate access to slots for high priority
jobs and suspend the normal ones in the meantime - but it will
suspend the complete subordinated queue on the host where the high
priority job is scheduled to. With the nowadays common multi core
CPUs it's not advantageous to suspend too many low priority jobs, but
a slotwise suspend should be in one of the next SGE releases.

As a suspend will still not release any used resources by the low
priority jobs, you have to plan accordingly, whether it's suitable
for your applications.

Are more sophisticated setup also includes to checkpoint the jobs in
the low priority queue and migrate them to other machines and/or
continue to execute them at a later point in time by a proper
definition of a checkpointing interface.

-- Reuti