[GE users] Best docs to learn about subordinate queues?

bdbaddog bill at baddogconsulting.com
Mon Dec 21 00:56:48 GMT 2009

Reuti,

Thanks for the quick response.
The manual and howto do an adequate job of describing the "how", but
not the "why"?
I'm trying to understand when it makes sense to configure a subordinate queue?

So it sounds like you would configure a subordinate queue, when you
want the superordinate queue to be able to displace the jobs in the
subordinate queue?

Could I use that for the following?
Normal jobs go to a subordinate queue.
Every now and then I have some jobs which are being run for
benchmarking, and they need to take over the whole machine when they
run, and are allowed to displace any jobs running on the machine (by
displace I mean, stop them running and swap them out, to be restarted
once this job is complete)

In general all the docs are great with the "how", but not so great with the why.
The best "why" or indepth document I've found so far
SGE_GeorgeTown.pdf file and the bioteam.net slides.

Thanks,
Bill