[GE users] SGE/6.2 and IBM x3950m2

jbhoren jbhoren at alaska.edu
Wed Dec 23 18:02:10 GMT 2009

On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 8:26 AM, reuti <reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de<mailto:reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de>> wrote:
Am 23.12.2009 um 17:37 schrieb rayson:

> On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 7:54 AM, reuti <reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de<mailto:reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de>>
> wrote:
>>> Has anyone implemented SGE/6.2 on a multi-node IBM x3950m2?
>
> Never played with one myself... I went to the product launch event in
> Toronto in March 2008 (the "System x with VMware Lunch Series" event),
> and was introduced to the really cool multinode x64 servers!
>

>> AFAICS it's a machine which should be able to run a stock Linux (I
>> checked IBM's website). The special thing is the connection of up to
>> four machines, which should then show up as one. Is there a special
>> cable between the enclosures (like the HiPPI interface on SGIs)? This
>> should be transparent to the OS.
>
> BTW, this IBM RedBook is useful, "Planning, Installing, and Managing
> the IBM System x3950 M2" , esp. Chapter 4. Multinode hardware
> configurations:
>
> http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/sg247630.html

Thx for the link. Looks like there are some limitations when I get it
in the correct way: with Linux only two nodes are supported.

How many do you want to connect?

Actually, up to four (4) nodes are supported.  We have three (3) nodes, all connected to form a single, multinode host, with 12 six-core processors (72 cpus, in total) and 384GB of RAM. It (bigone) runs RHEL/5.4, and will soon be connected to a NexSan SATAbeast w/14TB of storage.

--
JONATHAN B. HOREN
UAF Life Science Informatics