[GE users] limit users * to slots=10

marvnoo9 marv at jhu.edu
Thu Dec 24 00:27:45 GMT 2009

> BTW: Don't get confused between "slots" and "jobs". If you you want
> to limit the number of jobs in an RQS (like maxujobs in the
> scheduler), you have to define an additonal complex (named jobs for
> sake of easiness, short jb) and set it consumable "JOB" with an
> arbitrary high value set in `qconf -se global`, as the limit is in
> the RQS.

Reuti,
Sorry but I don't understand ... wouldn't the `qconf -se global` set a job limit applied to each execution host?  Even if arbitrarily high, I already have a slot limit on each host which won't let new jobs go to the host if there are no more slots.  My jobs limit needs to be per user for the entire cluster.

But, now I'm even more confused...
I want to able to set a limit on how many jobs (usually one slot per job) a user can submit, but now with RQS have exceptions for some users on some queues.  I've always used the maxujobs for that (before RQS) but I guess that breaks down if a job requests a p.e. that uses multiple slots?
Maybe what I really want is a slot limit and not rely on maxujobs???   Does that make sense?   I never considered limiting the number of slots per user.  How does that interact with the 'slots' consumable I see in 'qconf -sc' ?   I have always just used 'qconf -ssconf' which has maxujobs but nothing related to slots?

Thanks for your help,
   - Marvin