[GE users] multiple jobs on a same node while other nodes are idle

mlelstv mlelstv at serpens.de
Mon Dec 28 19:13:26 GMT 2009

On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 10:57:56AM -0800, templedf wrote:

> I really don't think we're talking about a bug here.  The behavior
> described is consistent with choosing "high" or "max" as the scheduler
> setting during installation.  I always recommend going with "normal" and
> then tweaking it.  None of the choices are actually good, but I find
> that normal needs the least tweaking.

"high" and "max" disable job_load_adjustments, normal uses
np_load_avg=0.50, and that's what we are talking about.

> The bug you're referring to occurs when multiple queues are involved and
> only occasionally.  Off hand, I don't know the status of that issue.

So far I can reproduce this easily, and it happens in about 4 of 5
attempts and I have never seen this with SGE6.0u9. My guess is that
it is a bug introduced with the improvements of the scheduler
scalability.

Greetings,
--
                                Michael van Elst