[GE users] What the ... default shell ... confusion

sgenedharvey sge at nedharvey.com
Wed Dec 30 13:36:00 GMT 2009

Thanks, but,

shell_start_mode only seems to be able to set a shell based on first line of
script, or by using a fixed value.  Am I missing something?

-S only lets you name a shell.  It doesn't let you say "-S
whatever_my_login_shell_is" ... this means I would have to first detect the
login shell, and then pass it as an argument to -S.  I can do this, but it
seems ... clunky.

First line of scripts isn't a solution because people aren't always running
scripts.

For example, I'm trying to tell users, "Any job that you would normally run
interactively by just typing a command ... you prefix it with 'qlo' or
'qmed' or 'qhi' (which are wrappers for qsub) and it will run in the queue
instead."  It should work just as well as "ssh somemachine somecommand"

People are trying to do things like this:
qmed ls
qmed ps

Obviously those wouldn't be useful commands to queue regularly, but they
demonstrate the difference in execution environment.  Which causes problems
for the real jobs.