[GE users] Jobs waiting due to loss of ressources

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Wed Dec 30 14:59:01 GMT 2009

Hiho,

Am 30.12.2009 um 11:11 schrieb fanou:

> Hi,
>
>> True !
>> qconf -sconf master.cluster reports a load sensor.
>> This script file uses some environment variables whom disappeared...
>
> It was a wrong conclusion. Environment variables are known by the
> load sensor.
>
> It was only set for the master. I added it to all nodes (all
> servers in `qconf -sel`). It seems to work fine now. :-)
>
> But I still don't understand why the configurations has been lost.
> I have some questions :
> - Should the load sensor be set on all exec servers ?

as it's a global load sensor, it's sufficient when it runs on just
one machine.

> - If I suppose it was set before, is it possible there would be a
> bug in SGE 6.1 to loose this setting ?

I don't think so.

Maybe the person who started the sgeexecd in former times just did a
`su` and not `su -`, hence the enviroment from his original session
was visible in the root session. Or did `sudo` with a particular
setting in /etc/sudoers. Or ssh to the node while keeping the variable.

Best would be of course to have the load sensor script self-contained
and not to rely on any preset variable. This rule I also recommend
for any job script to my users.

-- Reuti