[GE users] Configuring submit hosts with a wildcard.

griznog griznog at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 16:43:56 GMT 2009

On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 10:37 AM, reuti <reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de> wrote:
> Hi,
> no, all must be defined individually. Submit hosts must also be
> administrative hosts in addition. How will your users transfer the
> files in such a scenario - all desktops mount /home via NFS?
>
> -- Reuti

That's a good question, I have some ideas but this is all still in the
early design phase. On my test mac OS X system, I'm using MacFusion
and sshfs to kludge a secure set of mounts that mimic the "normal" nfs
filesystems a user sees on compute hosts and doing a similar thing on
Linux with fuse/sshfs. I plan to try to do this with cygwin on the
windows machines, tricking cygwin into seeing our filesystems via
mapped CIFS mounts. Also, I have no idea of the real value of enabling
desktop job submission, so the whole thing is very experimental. The
initial set of users I am enabling this for are doing things via the
java DRMAA API and don't seem to care about having a "normal"
filesystem environment anyway, only about being allowed access.

jbh