[GE users] Array job priority

dangruhn Dan.Gruhn at groupw.com
Mon Feb 2 13:29:40 GMT 2009

Victor,

 From my experience, array tasks are handled monolithically.  Once the
job gets to the head of the queue and starts to run, no other jobs will
run until all of the tasks of that job are running.  In my application
this makes things very difficult.  My users submit multiple repetitions
of a stochastic simulation and these "reps" fit the SGE job and task
model perfectly.  However, I have had to make some very complex scripts
that basically submit and track each array task one-by-one so that one
user doesn't dominate the grid.  It has made a lot of work for me and is
a continuing headache.

I wish the SGE people could do something about this, but I've seen
nothing about it.  If you find something, please post it.  It would help
me immensely.

Dan

victor73 wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Running SGE 6.2 here. Does anyone know how job priorities are handled
> for array jobs? The behavior I'm seeing is that when someone submits a
> large array job, all the elements of the array that are running share
> exactly the same priority. They are basically dominating the our grid
> because they were submitted slightly ahead of many jobs from other users
> which are singleton type jobs. Further, the job priority for the pending
> tasks doesn't seem to be going down much despite all the CPU the owner
> has consumed (CPU is configured to be the sole factor, not memory or
> IO). So do array jobs and array tasks get prioritized aggregated and
> handled monolithically?
>
> Thank you!
>
> -Victor

Dan Gruhn