[GE users] Resource Reservation Question

roland roland.dittel at sun.com
Tue Feb 3 12:15:53 GMT 2009

Brad,

since 6.2 the default_duration is set to INFINITY in the scheduler
config. This means the scheduler assumes all jobs not requesting a
runtime limit will run infinity and a queue instance with such a job
will not be considered for reservation. This might be the reason why you
don't see any reservations. Please tweak the default_duration or submit
your jobs with '-l h_rt' and see if your job gets a reservation.

Best regards
Roland

matbradford wrote:
> Does anybody know of any issues with using Resource Reservation on a
> large (>200 nodes) cluster, or with SGE6.2?
>
> We are using SGE 6.2, scheduling cycle is set to 60s, the max
> reservation is set to 10, monitoring is on, and there is a single queue
> for accepting parallel jobs. When I submit a parallel job with ??R y?
> and push the job to the top of the pending queue, I cannot see any
> ?RESERVING? messages in the schedule file. On another small cluster
> using SGE6.0, I can see these ?RESERVING? messages.
>
> Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mat Bradford

Roland Dittel               Tel: +49 (0)941 3075-275 (x60275)
Software Engineering        Fax: +49 (0)941 3075-222 (x60222)
Sun Microsystems GmbH
Dr.-Leo-Ritter-Str. 7       mailto:roland.dittel at sun.com
D-93049 Regensburg          http://www.sun.com/gridware
Registered Office / Sitz der Gesellschaft:
   Sun Microsystems GmbH
   Sonnenallee 1
   D-85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten
   Germany
Commercial register of the Local Court of Munich /
Handelsregistereintrag Amtsgericht Muenchen:
   HRB 161028
Managing Directors / Geschaeftsfuehrer:
   Thomas Schroeder, Wolfgang Engels, Dr. Roland Boemer
Chairman of the Supervisory Board / Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates
   Martin Haering