[GE users] load sensor scaling or how to make a node picked last

russray rray at semtech.com
Thu Feb 5 15:02:38 GMT 2009

I have a SGE6.1 install and it is working well.  We have five linux
machines with all dual or quad cores except for our first machine which is
an older machine.  The install was purely default with no changes other
than setting up queues for the different type of jobs to run.  No
priorities for  users or projects exist.

I would like to "handicap" the older machine so that it isn't picked if no
jobs are running.  qstat -f shows the load_avg of this machine to be 0.00
when no job is running and therefore it is often picked over other
machines with more memory and cpu speed that have load_avg of 0.01 or
0.02.  I would like to force a handicap onto the slow machine so that it
is basically picked almost last.  In other words, if a job is running on a
quad, I would rather have a second job start on it than on the slow
machine.

How would I set this?  I've been looking through the manual and can't seem
to find what I need.

Thanks,
Russ