[GE users] load sensor scaling or how to make a node picked last

craffi dag at sonsorol.org
Thu Feb 5 15:10:46 GMT 2009

Hi Russ,

Search the docs at http://wikis.sun.com/display/GridEngine/Home or the
mailing list for "seqno" - SGE by default sorts all suitable queue
instances by load and picks the "least busy" machine from among the
suitable list.

You can override/influence this behavior by switching to seqno-based
sorting where you can rank your machines with an integer number that
is used in the sort.

If you tag all your new machines with a seqno of "0" and your older
machines with a "1" then you'll find that the SGE scheduler will
preferentially bias itself towards then newer machines.

Another option is to play games with adjustments to reported load
averages. SGE will artificially spike the reported load average on a
node right after a job lands there so that the scheduler does not slam
an idle node with too much work all at once. By tweaking these numbers
and the length of the delay time you can make your older machines
appear to be busier than they really are. I've played games with that
in the past to avoid certain machines over time.

Anyway, sequence based sorting is what you should look into first.

Regards,
Chris