[GE users] The Maximum Reservation parameter

futurity neil at futurity.co.uk
Thu Feb 5 18:06:09 GMT 2009

Hi fellow grid users,

I've started using resource reservation on our 61 grid and have a couple of
questions which I was wondering if anyone could answer?

The admin manual states that if the max_reservation is set to 20, then only
20 resource reservations can be made in a schedule interval (15 seconds by
default I believe).

1)	What happens if a single user or multiple users combined, submit
more than 20 reservations within an interval period?  Do the jobs that
cannot to get a reservation fail, do they become normal jobs without
reservation, or are they simply reprocessed every schedule interval until a
reservation becomes available?

2)	As it says there is a limit of 20 reservations per schedule interval
(15 seconds), does this mean I can keep submitting 20 jobs every schedule
interval?  For example build up a queue of 200 jobs all of which have
reservations successfully attached to them?

3)	What happens to a job with a reservation for a resource that isn't
available on any machines.  Do the jobs that cannot reserve a resource fail,
do they become normal jobs without resource reservation, or are they simply
reprocessed every schedule interval until resources become available for
reservation?

Many thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Neil