[GE users] Ideas requested regarding jobs and memory consumption

maritac marita_christiansen at mentor.com
Thu Feb 5 23:59:34 GMT 2009

I have an issue that I'm trying to help one of my SGE users resolve, and
I'd appreciate any ideas that the user group might have.

When submitting a job with a requirement for a specific amount of free
memory, it takes some time after the job lands on the exec host for the
job to consume memory.  This means that for a period of time the exec
host will report more memory available than will be available once the
job gets fully running.  In the meantime more jobs can land on the
system because the mem_free is reporting available memory, thus
consuming too much memory by the time all the jobs get to full speed.

My user needs to find a way to prevent additional jobs from landing on
the exec host while the initial job gets up to full memory usage. What
makes this especially difficult is that making configuration changes to
the grid isn't an option, as this has to work out-of-the-box at our
customers' sites.  There is no way of predicting how the customer's grid
might be configured, and we can't ask them to make configuration
changes.

One idea being considered is slowing down the job submission to allow
the initial job more time to consume its full amount of required memory
before the next batch of jobs is submitted.  Anyone have a similar
situation, or any additional ideas?

Thanks for your help.
Marita

Marita Christiansen