[GE users] Job suspension methods in Linux

leeping leeping at mit.edu
Tue Feb 10 15:31:37 GMT 2009

Hi there,

I have a Beowulf cluster running Grid Engine 6.1u3.  I'm trying to
implement a system where users have a "soft" limit, above which their
jobs may be automatically suspended if other users need the slots.  I
have two questions:

1) How could I implement job suspension?  Do I need to enter something
for "Suspend Method" and "Resume Method"?  I would imagine the command
"kill -STOP" should do the trick, since I am running a Linux system.

2) Imagine the following scenario - User A runs a large batch of short
jobs and surpasses the soft limit.  User B starts one very long job,
causing the suspension of one of User A's short jobs and indefinitely
delaying it.  How do I prevent this from happening?

Thanks a lot.

- Lee-Ping