[GE users] Restarting the master server - How to and what about jobs?

srhadden brian.fleming at tellabs.com
Thu Feb 12 18:42:10 GMT 2009

Thank you very much, Reuti.

-----Original Message-----
From: reuti [mailto:reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de]
Sent: Thursday, February 12, 2009 3:03 AM
To: users at gridengine.sunsource.net
Subject: Re: [GE users] Restarting the master server - How to and what
about jobs?

Am 11.02.2009 um 22:06 schrieb srhadden:

> I am running solaris v6.0u3 I believe.
>
> Our master server processes are consuming 50% cpu and I want to
> restart them to clear whatever is causing this.
>
> 1. How do I restart the master server? I was going to simply run
> stop/start from the login startup file on solaris /etc/init.d/
> sgemaster softstop then "start".  Is this the proper way?

You can issue just stop and start respectively (just for the sgemaster
script). AFAICS the softstop is the same like stop.

> 2. What happens to current and pending jobs? I would prefer not to
> lose them.

They will still be there, like the running ones.

> 3. Should I disable the grid before I do the restart? If so, how?

No.

-- Reuti

> Thank you very much for any guidance. I am a new user, as you can
> tell.

and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader
of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee
or agent responsible for delivering this message to the
intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any reproduction,
dissemination or distribution of this communication is strictly
please notify us immediately by replying to the message and
deleting it from your computer. Thank you. Tellabs