[GE users] SGE / MPI: how to target master process to a specific exec host

nicoudem nicolas.lartillot at umontreal.ca
Sun Feb 15 02:12:11 GMT 2009

Hi,

I have an asymetric cluster, which has:

- 1 exec_host (let's call it node0) itself a shared memory multiprocessor endowed with 128 Go RAM

- 16 typical blades making up the rest of execution hosts.

and I would like to submit parallel jobs using openMPI in which the MASTER process would run on node0, and all other processes would be distributed among all other 16 nodes in a round-robin manner.

how can I do that ?

I have tried a "Multiple Process Multiple Data" scheme in the script:

>cat asym.sh
mpi -np 1 --host node0 master.bin : -np 16 slave.bin

which I then sent to sge:

>qsub -pe 17 make -cwd asym.sh

sge understands the MPMD structure of the script, and executes everything all right, except that it does NOT abide to the "--host node0" request... and send the master process wherever it wants.

any suggestions about how I can enforce that?

more generally, how can I
thanks

nic