[GE users] filesystem question

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Mon Feb 16 11:25:12 GMT 2009

Hi,

Am 16.02.2009 um 10:23 schrieb yacc143:

> I wonder what people are using for a shared filesystem?
>
> We've got a nice SAN (with >400MB/s IO rates) on the head node, but
> the
> compute nodes are connected via NFS over 1Gb/s network cards, and we
> are getting around 70-100MB/s (at best) shared transfer rate for all
> compute nodes. I think that is currently are biggest bottleneck, so I
> wonder what other people are using for their network filesystem?

this depends what you have to compute. We copy the files at the
beginning of the job to a node, run most of the computations locally,
and then copy the results back.

Others will need solutions like PVFS, Lustre, GPFS in soft- or
hardware when all nodes (of a parallel job) must access the same
files and cannot run just in one node.

Your SAN is only attached to the headnode right now?