[GE users] mysql path + arco issues

crhea crhea at mayo.edu
Tue Feb 17 21:06:00 GMT 2009

> >   
> The limit was added due to the issue 
> http://gridengine.sunsource.net/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=2284.
> I don't have much experience with Mysql database so I will appreciate 
> yours, do you think it won't cause any problem when the limit is removed 
> from delete statement for Mysql?

I'm not an expert in MySQL yet (I've done the DBA coursework, but not the certification exam)-- my feeling is that 500 is too low. For a table that can easily have 1M+ rows, I'd think a limit of 5,000 or 10,000 would be more reasonable (the Oracle case you referenced above did not have details on how big they made their tran log space. If they can't handle a delete of more than 500 rows, the tran log space is too small [tune the DB, not the application]).

It might make sense to make this parameter something that can be changed based on a confg setting. 

> If you have problems with deleting data I can recommend to disable 
> deletion rules and delete them manually or write a script which would do it.
> Regards,
> aja

In our case, we did fix the problem by just runing the delete by hand (by taking an educated guess at what ARCO was doing). Including something in the docs on how to do this would be helpful-- I just guessed based on what I was seeing by watching the MySQL processes/queries. We also changed the reporting interval and removed some of the variables being recorded.

Thank you very much for you insight on why things are the way they are... 

--- Cris


To unsubscribe from this discussion, e-mail: [users-unsubscribe at gridengine.sunsource.net].

More information about the gridengine-users mailing list