[GE users] Waking up hosts when needed

brs brs at usf.edu
Wed Feb 18 21:24:46 GMT 2009

Orion,

I've been pretty interested in this type of approach to cut electrical
costs.  Looking at the code, it does not appear that it references any
host or queue complexes in order to make a determination for which hosts
to bring up.  What would be even better (more reliable) than using a WOL
magic packet a la ether-wake would be to use IPMI instead (most of our
nodes support it, thankfully).  Perhaps implementing complex attributes
that include this information and referencing them from the script would
be nice.

Say we have a batch 12 nodes, 6 of which have 8GB or memory and are
GigE-connected and we have 6 other nodes with 16GB of RAM connected with
IB.  Let's say that your job requests h_vmem (or something) for 12GB and
requests ib=true (your complex attribute for infiniband).  Obviously, it
would be undesirable for the script to start up any of the 8GB, GigE
nodes as they would not correspond with the requirements of the job(s)
that is(are) waiting.  You could also have some "hidden" complexes that
include information like ipmi=true or wol=true so that all configuration
is centralized in SGE (so we don't have to maintain a separate
configuration).  This would allow the script to determine the best
method for booting or powering off a host based on the configuration in SGE.

I'd be interested in working on a project to implement this kind of
behavior, but I though hedeby was supposed to facilitate this?

-Brian

--
Brian Smith
Sr. HPC Systems Administrator