[GE users] installing JDBC for MySQL

aja alena.plestilova at sun.com
Fri Feb 20 10:12:44 GMT 2009

Hi Tamara,

tamara wrote:
> hi,
>
> I'm in installing ARCo and before doing this i had to install java
> runtime environment, mysql, java web console
> I did all these but when I read how to configure mysql database server
> i found that i had to install java database connectivity which i didn't
> so now do i have to uninstall mysql and install jdbc first or i can
> just install jdbc (after i installed mysql)?
JDBC stands for Java Database Connectivity, and JDBC driver is a jar
file that converts JDBC calls into the network protocol used by the
relational database. Each database provides it's driver, so that various
java applications can use it for easy access to the database, like ARCo
does.
Yes of course, you CAN install the Mysql JDBC driver after installing
Mysql database itself.

I guess you use the package system provided by your operating system to
install it, so after installation just find out where exactly is the jar
file located, and for ARCo copy this driver to $SGE_ROOT/dbwriter/lib
and $SGE_ROOT/reporting/WEB-INF/lib directories.

Regards,
aja

--
aja && sun