[GE users] Need help on automatic rescheduling of Jobs in a Queue

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Fri Feb 20 23:15:51 GMT 2009

Am 20.02.2009 um 18:05 schrieb veerendra_n:

> I?m not sure if this question has been answered before, but I seek
> some help.
>
> We have configured a short queue with a queue limit of 5 min. The
> objective is that any short jobs should be executed in this queue.
>
> We would like to have the following configuration in the sort queue.
> If any new job is fired to this short queue any old job which has
> taken more than 5 min should be suspended and the new job should be
> executed.
> The old job which was suspended should be resumed once all the jobs
> have completed.
>
> Is this configuration possible? If, yes how to go about with the
> configuration? Please guide.

yes, it can be done. You have to enter the name of the default queue
in the "subordinate_list" field of the queue definition of the short
queue (see details in `man queue_conf?). Note, that the suspended job
is still using it's granted resources.

To avoid that the complete queue instance on a node is suspended only
because one short job is running, another setup could be to define
nice values for both queues. In the default queue set "priority 19"
and in the short one "priority 0". This will give more computing time
to the short running jobs, although the node is a little bit
oversubscribed. But the values displayed for the load is just the
number of tasks eligible to run (plus uninteruptible kernel tasks).