[GE users] limit number of slots per job

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Mon Feb 23 18:05:51 GMT 2009

Hi,

Am 23.02.2009 um 18:55 schrieb hfruchtl:

> I would like to limit the number of slots one job in a certain
> queue (or
> parallel environment, but I'd prefer queue) can use. I don't want
> to restrict
> the number of total slots for the queue, or for the user. Do I need
> to create a
> separate resource (if so, how?), or can I use the slots (or nodes,
> or something
> related that already exists). I don't see it in the obvious place
> (queue -> limits).

unfortunately, it's not possible right now. You can do it in the
upcoming 6.2u2 update by using a JSV (job submission verifier) and
act according to the requested slots to adjust them to the allowed
maximum or reject the job. (This means, it can be set to be queue
specific only if the queue is also requested in the qsub. It's
already an RFE to extend the RQS by limiting also jobs, i.e. having
"jobs" as who clause.)

What you could do right now: use the queue prolog to test the number
of slots the job got and put it into error state if the number of
slots is above the intended maximum. This means of course, that the
users first have to wait, and then seeing their job ending up in
error state instead of being executed. But they will lean.

-- Reuti