[GE users] 1-day SGE admin workshop in Santa Clara, CA on March 18th 2009

rayson rayrayson at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 08:36:30 GMT 2009

On 2/24/09, kasturi <kasturi.rangam at gmail.com> wrote:
> I want to know if someone has no exposure to SGE can have this up and running in
> couple of days working part time.

For most LSF admins, installing and running SGE is real easy. I tried
SGE in early 2001, and my first ever installation was smooth. I spent
less than half an hour from getting the tar files downloaded to having
the 1-host cluster running.

I believe most LSF admins can get SGE up and running without hassle,
but you can also read the "Things to think about before installing
Grid Engine" article from Chris:

http://gridengine.info/2005/09/29/things-to-think-about-before-installing

A few things you can try without stalling any critical projects:

- install a 1-host cluster

- install SGE with a normal account (you can only submit & run jobs
using that account. So it is perfect for testing but not for
production use).

- you can have LSF and SGE running on the same cluster machines, as
long as they use different TCP ports.

- you can add new SGE execution hosts very easily and also without
bringing down or affecting the cluster with all those "reconfig"
hassles like "lsadmin reconfig", "lsadmin reconfig" or "badmin
mbdrestart"...

- when you are happy with the scheduling capability of SGE and having
SGE running on a few machines, you can then move machines one by one
from the LSF cluster to the SGE cluster. You issue "badmin hclose
<host name>" to stop MBD from dispatching new jobs to the host. Then
you add the new host to the SGE cluster by running the install execd
script.

Rayson