[GE users] Documentation in PDF gone?

craffi dag at sonsorol.org
Thu Feb 26 20:13:15 GMT 2009

I actually disagree and prefer the online Wiki and I'm speaking as
someone who has spent a ton of time printing and binding the various
versions of prior manuals over the years.

SGE documentation has always been an issue, mostly because to generate
the Admin and User guides, Sun actually had to go out and hire
technical writers to put things together after first spending lots of
time with the dev team. The tech writers never knew or used the
product and had to rely on speaking with the dev team.

Invariably this caused a massive lag in the documentation in that the
Guides would be very very far behind when it came to current SGE
behavior, configuration and features. Remember how long it took for
Resource Quota stuff to end up in the "official" docs for SGE 6.x?

Moving into the wiki removes this 6-month or more delay (or
potentially does ...) and I think longer term this is of larger
benefit than losing easy access to book-formatted documents. (Just my
$.02 of course).

I'd be interested in using the wiki to create short booklets or
cheatsheets. Maybe there is some way we can scrape the wiki articles
to get text or XML we can turn into PDFs or something.

-chris