[GE users] functional policy and array jobs

ate atepoorthuis at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 14:57:43 GMT 2009

Hi all,

I have successfully deployed a GE 6.2 cluster with 10 hosts, which was a relative breeze thanks to the excellent documentation available through this site.

However, I have problems implementing functional policy on the project level in combination with array jobs. Let's say I have two array jobs with each 30,000 tasks, one belongs to project X (60% of tickets) and the other to Y (40% of tickets). The array job of project X will be scheduled first and will finish all tasks before array job of project Y will be scheduled. In practice, project X thus gets 100% of all resources and clogs the queue for project Y.

I tried to find the answer in the archive of this mailing list but some clues I thought were related did not help me any further. Do I misunderstand the functional policy or have I overlooked a certain configuration? I hope someone can clarify this issue.

Thanks in advance,

Ate