[GE users] Share trees

jagladden gladden at chem.washington.edu
Wed Jul 1 21:11:31 BST 2009

Daniel,

Thanks for responding.  I think I have this setup correctly now, but just for review, here is what I have done.  I have created two projects:

[gladden at bonanza turecek]$ qconf -sprjl
core_project
noncore_project

and access to each project is restricted by an ACL like this:

[gladden at bonanza turecek]$ qconf -sprj core_project
name core_project
oticket 0
fshare 0
acl core_userset
xacl NONE

and:

[gladden at bonanza turecek]$ qconf -sprj noncore_project
name noncore_project
oticket 0
fshare 0
acl noncore_userset
xacl NONE

I also created a share tree to assign 80% and 20% shares to the two projects respectively.  It looks like this:

[gladden at bonanza turecek]$ qconf -sstree
id=0
name=Root
type=0
shares=1
childnodes=1,2
id=1
name=core_project
type=1
shares=8000
childnodes=NONE
id=2
name=noncore_project
type=1
shares=2000
childnodes=NONE

Finally, for each user I have assigned one of the two projects as the default and also include that user in the ACl for the respective project.  For example, for user "gladden" I have:

[gladden at bonanza turecek]$ qconf -suser gladden
name gladden
oticket 0
fshare 0
delete_time 0
default_project core_project

and for the ACL I have:

[gladden at bonanza turecek]$ qconf -su core_userset
name    core_userset
type    ACL DEPT
fshare  0
oticket 0
entries gladden,earnshaw,ketcham,adriana,akey7,ebadaeva,isborn,jhung,winco, \
        kaynp,xsli,yongf,fischer4,tammien,zyguo,prezhdo,yuriyp,atchung,cmoss, \
        nuonuo,xiaohong

User "gladden" is NOT included in the ACL associated with the other project.  If I understand what I have done, the result is that jobs for user "gladden" will, by default, execute as members of "core_project", and that the user cannot really change this because he does not have access to any other projects.

Does this look correct?

James Gladden

templedf wrote:

Of course, now that I look at it a little more closely, the share tree I
suggested isn't valid because the default user is present twice in the
same project ("no project" in this case).  More importantly, how should
Grid Engine tell to which branch a job should belong?  To really get the
behavior you want, you're going to have to use projects or enumerate the
users in each group explicitly.  There's an open RFE to get Grid Engine
to use external directory services, so we're well aware of the issue.

Daniel

templedf wrote:

Don't forget about the default user.  You can do what you want with a
share tree that looks like this:

/=1
/group1=20
/group1/default=1
/group2=80
/group2/default=1

Daniel

jagladden wrote:

I'm want to set up a share tree policy such that shares are assigned to
groups of users - specifically something like 80% of the shares to the
"core" user group and 20% of the shares to the "non-core" user group.
However, as near as I can figure out, a node or leaf in a share tree
must be associated with an sge "user" or "project:, not a "department"
of unix group.  If I understand this correctly, the only kind of user
group I can use in this context is the "project".  If this be the case,
then do I somehow need to force and association between users and
projects?  Am I on the right track here?

James Gladden