[GE users] How to allocate slots within hostgroups

rems0 Richard.Ems at cape-horn-eng.com
Thu Jul 2 15:46:38 BST 2009

ywan wrote:
> Anyone knows how to implement the following scenario?
>
> There are 50 nodes in my cluster, 4 slots on each node.
> These nodes are divided into 4 groups:
>
> node001-node010
> node011-node020
> node021-node030
> node031-node040
>
> when I submit a multi-node parallel job, I hope my job to be allocated to
> nodes within any single group, not crossing groups.
>
> How to configure GridEngine to achieve this allocation?

1. Create 5 hostgroups hgrp1 ... hgrp5 (with the corresponding nodes 1
.. 10, 11 .. 20, etc)

2. Create 5 parallel environments hgrp1_pe ... hgrp5_pe (this ones will
probably be all equal)

3. add the parallel environments to your queue (all.q), assigning each
hostgroup to each PE:
pe_list               NONE,[@hgrp1=hgrp1_pe],[@hgrp2=hgrp2_pe],...

4. submit your jobs using wildcards
qsub -pe hgrp*_pe n       (substitute n with the number of slots your
job needs)

cheers, Richard

--
Richard Ems       mail: Richard.Ems at Cape-Horn-Eng.com

Cape Horn Engineering S.L.
C/ Dr. J.J. Dómine 1, 5? piso
46011 Valencia
Tel : +34 96 3242923 / Fax 924