[GE users] Managing user access to scratch space

jagladden gladden at chem.washington.edu
Fri Jul 3 00:15:55 BST 2009

Rayson,

Thanks for the information.

James

rayson wrote:

On 7/2/09, jagladden <gladden at chem.washington.edu><mailto:gladden at chem.washington.edu> wrote:

I am guessing that when sge_execd creates the scratch directory it is
running as user "sge", is that correct?  So if I set up the scratch
partitions such that the "sge" user has write permission, but not the
world, this should work?  Right?

execd creates the scratch directory as root. In daemons/execd/tmpdir.c :

   sge_switch2start_user();
   sge_mkdir(tmpdir, 0755, 0, 0);

   chown(tmpdir, uid, gid);
   sge_switch2admin_user();

In most cases, root is used to create the TMPDIR. Root is also used to
chown the directory to the job owner.

Rayson

James Gladden