[GE dev] s390x Architecture

rayson rayrayson at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 16:21:23 BST 2009

Please work with us to get SGE fully supported on zLinux. And yes,
there was an earlier attempt to support the platform:

http://gridengine.sunsource.net/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=39&dsMessageId=8685
http://gridengine.sunsource.net/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=39&dsMessageId=8569

It was more like a quick hack, as it modified the "arch" scripts
(dist/util/arch and dist/util/arch.dist) to make the rest of the
source tree believe the platform is IA-64. It worked and DRMAA was
able to submit jobs too.

So this time we should not just stop there but to finish the port and
check it into cvs. Modifying the arch scripts is OK to get started, or
even to get a fully working solution, but eventually we need to use
the proper "#define"s and "#ifdef"s for the platform and not let s390x
live under IA64's shadow!!

And finally, does the latest version of gcc on zLinux default to
31-bit or 64-bit code?? (I have not worked on the z/OS and zLinux
platforms for a few years... I informally worked on a project to port
a compiler to zLinux, and my development zLinux environment might not
follow the standard.)

Rayson