[GE users] SGE execution host installation issue

radical_monkey zaydshaikh at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 14:09:05 BST 2009

Im new the the Grid concept and have only just begun to experience it over the last 2 weeks. My task is to set up 3 VMs running ubuntu 9.04, with one functioning as a qmaster and the other two as execution hosts. So far (and with great difficulty) ive managed to install the qmaster on one of the VMs.

Ive completed all the install pre-requisites such as setting up password-less SSH between machines and setting up an NFS. The problem im getting is that when I try to run the install_execd script i get the following error:

Checking hostname resolving

---------------------------

Cannot contact qmaster. The command failed:

   ./bin/lx24-x86/qconf -sh

The error message was:

   ERROR: unable to send message to qmaster using port 6444 on host "master": can't resolve host name

You can fix the problem now or abort the installation  procedure.

The problem can be:

   - the qmaster is not running

   - the qmaster host is down

   - an active firewall blocks your request

Contact qmaster again (y/n) ('n' will abort) [y] >>

The hostname in the /etc/hosts and /etc/hostname files is "master". I can connect via SSH and the NFS is working perfectly but I cant seem to find the cause of this error. Im assuming its trying to access the qmaster with a different hostname than the one specified but I cant find any reason why it would be doing that since the hostname in the error is the same as the one on the host.

This has been doing my head in for the past week so if anyone has any ideas as to how I could fix this I would be very grateful!

Many Thanks