[GE users] Condor for SGE users

juby justin.ottley at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 15:57:21 BST 2009

Last year I completed a relatively extensive internal survey of Condor
and SGE. At my company, there was a large, long-standing system based on
Condor that I had been administering for a while, and I wanted to
improve the custom layer that sat on top. After my survey and a couple
presentations, we ended up switching completely from Condor to SGE. At
the beginning I didnt expect this to happen, but boy am I glad we switched.

I could talk about this probably forever, but there a few key points I
could share (I would need permission to release the entire survey). I
disclaim that these are my opinions (albeit after researching and using
both systems for a nontrivial amount of time), and should *not* be taken
as truth.

I found that:
- Condor's configuration, especially after using SGE, is complicated
(read: insane). Besides the obvious, there are other more subtle issues
that make SGE much easier to deal with (one example is getting CLI
results back over stdout).
- SGE is a "better integrated" system. There are design decisions in
Condor that I think prevent its features from being well integrated,
primarily the isolation of ClassAds. These decisions are beneficial in
some (I think rare) situations, but in practice I find the design is
more constraining that beneficial.
- SGE is, for the most part, a simpler system (fewer daemons to
implement the same kind of features means easier troubleshooting, a
single abstract resource management concept means the features work well
together and are "predictable").
- SGE's fair share system is more flexible, easier to understand, and
again, better integrated
- SGE's failover is better (read: actually works)
- SGE comes with useful tools like qmon and ARco (which I have to say,
in spite of a few bugs, is a rather incredible tool).
- SGE's documentation is quite good (comparatively: searchability,
easier to read, useful diagrams, more examples, whitepapers, etc).
- Condor does not have native job dependencies (DAGMan is Condor's
answer, but I find in practice it is an overly complicated solution that
ends up being less powerful than the simple SGE solution).

If you need a resource management system, I strongly recommend you
consider SGE.

-justin