[GE users] dbwriter errors

soeren_g soeren.gerlach at quanteam.de
Wed Jul 8 10:06:28 BST 2009

> In the past few days dbwriter crashed, and the only information in the log was the following:
>
> 8/07/2009 08:52:02|galaxy29|dbwriter.ReportingDBWriter.run|E|Uncaught exception: Java heap space
>                               java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

Hello Juval,

the message you see comes from the dbwriter process itself which is an Java application. It runs out of heap space which is AFAIK 64 MB if you did not configure anything special to the start script.
You can increase the heap space by setting the environment value JVMARGS e.g. to "-Xmx256M" before calling the start script, the script will honor the env. setting and start the JVM with this value.

However I have not seen this error so far in our installation, finding the reason for this is another issue. If this happens to other users as well it might be an improvement for SUN to modify the provided start script for the dbwriter so that uses some higher heap space settings by default.

Regards,
Soeren Gerlach