[GE users] Limiting the number of slots available to each user

jagladden gladden at chem.washington.edu
Wed Jul 8 23:18:56 BST 2009

I would like to setup sge to limit the number of executions slots a user
can be occupying at one time.  I actually have two different groups of
users, one more deserving than the other,  and it would be nice if I
could establish two different slot limits - one for users in each
group.  However, the total number of users is only about 40, so if I had
to set up the limit separately for each user it would be tolerable, if
somewhat annoying and unaesthetic.

I'm guessing the way to do this is with a resource quota, but the
details are not clear to me.  Can I write a resource quota rule that
looks something like this?

       {
          name         max_slots_per_user
          description  "resource quota for restricting execution slots
per user"
          enabled      true
          limit        users {@core_userset} to slots=64
          limit        users {@noncore_userset} to slots=32
       }

The intent of this rule would be to restrict each user in the userset
"core_userset" set to 64 execution slots, and each user in the userset
"noncore_userset" set to 32 execution slots.  Is this the right approach?

James Gladden