[GE users] SGE large memory jobs

mbay2002 jeff at haferman.com
Sun Jul 12 03:43:27 BST 2009

A user is running a java based script that requires 5 GB of memory. Each of our nodes has 8 GB of RAM available.

He is trying something along the lines of

qsub -l mem_free=5G java.sge
sleep 10
qsub -l mem_free=5G java.sge

However, even though we have plenty of open nodes, after submitting several jobs like this, a few end up on the same node, and the jobs start paging.

We have a pretty vanilla install of SGE, we haven't done any special configuration.  I honestly do not know SGE well enough to know if there is a simple way to ensure that these jobs get assigned one per node.

I've done a bit of RTFM'ing, but could use a hint at this point.

This is SGE 6.2