[GE users] Changing users in prolog

lswote brhammon at sfwmd.gov
Thu Jul 16 17:20:11 BST 2009

In using SGE qsub to run jobs on our clusters.  I know next to nothing about qsub or SGE as this stuff is handled by our configuration manager.  But recently I developed some software that submits jobs to the qsub from a browser window.  There are two problems I am running into.  The first is that when the browser server gets the user request it tries to run the qsub job as apache, which is the user id for the server, and qsub won't let apache submit a job.  I imagine we can get around that by adding apache as a valid qsub user via the qmon tool.  But we don't really want qsub submitting jobs as apache anyway, which leads into my second problem.  We really want to submit jobs to the queue as the user who is submitting the request.  My configuration manager told me we should be able to pass an environmental variable to the prolog from the browser that would specify what user to submit the qsub job as.

Is what he said correct?  Can you specify which user to run a qsub job as in the prolog, and if not, does anyone know how to do it?