[GE users] Submit fractional slot jobs

balor123 uri at 4refs.com
Fri Jul 17 18:07:33 BST 2009

Hi,
Similar to my previous question, is it possible to submit a job using fractional slots? I have a rack of machines all with 8 processors running mostly identical tasks but the load on the machines never gets above 3-4 due to blocking on other resources (network, IO) and sometimes even just sleeping. I think I could better utilize those machines if those jobs consumed .5 slots rather than 1 full slot. There are other ways of accomplishing the same goal (increase the unit slot from 1 for example and change the number of slots available on the machine) but they all come with tradeoffs (in that case, everyone has to remember that something other than 1 is really one and there will be mistakes).