[GE users] Fair-share with suspension

jjh jjh at 42quarks.com
Tue Jul 21 09:05:08 BST 2009

Firstly, apologies if this has been asked before, I hadn't a search of
the archives etc. but I couldn't find an specific answer to my query.

We are using SGE 6.2 with fair scheduling. It works very nicely.
Except when users have long-running jobs then we have problems because
this can stop others getting work done. We currently have a
high-priority queue which will suspend jobs on the normal queue to let
its jobs run. But people end up scheduling lots of jobs on the high
priority queue as well.

Is there a way to implement fair scheduling, but also have some
setting such that if the "fairness" is getting too unbalanced (i.e.
someone's long running jobs have taken up all the slots) then suspend
user's jobs to allow other users jobs to run (these jobs are all on
the same queue)? The fair scheduling currently works to the extent
that other users jobs are at the top of the queue, but they still
aren't being run because they are waiting for free slots.

Regards,
Jonny

--
Jonathan J Hunt <jjh at 42quarks.com>