[GE users] ARCo and sge_share_log

adary adary at marvell.com
Tue Jul 21 11:47:10 BST 2009

I have a 600 note share tree in action.

And I did find out how to actually get data written to that table, but in the process our production grid crashed, and about 400 important jobs flew ?

I guess that the documentations should be updated a bit.

What happened is that in qconf ?mconf options sharelog is defined as sharelog=00:00:00

The documentation says that is the default, and it should be left that way. Nowhere does the documentation mention that if you want farishare data logged you need to specify the time interval there to dump the information into the reporting file.

The reason why my grid crashed, is that I added to the same line sharelog=true and the moment I saved the config everything froze, I had to kill sge_master with kill -9 and restore everything from backup (and once SGE came back, all jobs that weren?t acive during last backup died since master saw them running but didn?t know anything about them)

Now when I defined sharelog=00:10:00 I get fairshare data dumped once every 10 minutes into the reporting file, and dbwriter picks the data up correctly.

And while I?m all revved up, I will allow myself to say that a reply like yours is not something I would expect from someone that comes from @sun.com ?