[GE users] Fair-share with suspension

templedf dan.templeton at sun.com
Tue Jul 21 15:04:37 BST 2009

The Grid Engine scheduler is non-preemptive, meaning that it doesn't
plan ahead for what could be suspended in order to schedule the pending
jobs.  The only suspension we support is the queue subordination that
you're already using.  Of course, a suspended job still occupies a slot,
so preemption wouldn't help you in any case.  The only way to free a
slot for one of the pending jobs is to bump a running job off its
machine.  If you're not using checkpointing, that can be rather wasteful
and result in some unhappy users.

Daniel