[GE users] Floating node-locked license management and qlicserver

blair blair.bethwaite at infotech.monash.edu.au
Thu Jul 30 05:29:22 BST 2009

Hi all,

Apologies for the long post but I'm trying to share some experience as well as ask a couple of questions...

Recently I spent a good portion of a week struggling with the following resource management issue in SGE (currently using 6.1u4)... We're making available a software package, let's call it TheSoftware, which uses the FlexM license manager to dish out licenses on a rather odd basis - they are floating, but once assigned, node-locked (at least this seems to be the terminology used in lmstat).

What this actually means is that one license for TheSoftware is consumed per user per node. We're running a commodity high-throughput cluster so naturally all the nodes have many cpus/cores so it is possible for a user to have several instances of TheSoftware running on a single node, which serendipitously means they can get extra bang for a single license. E.g. say there are five 8core nodes (with 8 slots each) free, 20 licenses for TheSoftware available, and a user submits 40 jobs using TheSoftware - all 40 jobs can run in parallel and only consume 5 TheSoftware licenses. However, making the scheduler manage this seems to be far from trivial - even when simplified for the case of a single user running TheSoftware...