[GE users] job scheduling on different queues

tgebert tgebert at transtec.de
Thu Jul 30 16:20:34 BST 2009

Hello list,

I have node1 - node4 (four CPUs on each node) on my cluster and configured two queues for parallel jobs and one queue for serial jobs (q_par and q_ser).
Both queues can access all cores on all nodes so every queue has 16 slots. The queues are configured to suspend the other queue through the Subordinate feature.
The probelm I am facing is that if there are e.g 3 jobs running in the q_ser and there is a parallel job waiting in the queue q_par, later submitted serial jobs to q_ser are started immediately even if the parallel job has a higher priority. This would lead to that the parallel job is never started in the worst case.
Does anyone know if it's possible to configure the scheduling in a way, that  the newly submitted serial jobs are not started immediately and wait until the resources for the parallel job are freed, so the parallel job can start?

All the Best
Thomas