[GE users] Some Hopefully Useful Scripts

butters chris at pearit.co.uk
Tue Jun 2 07:54:27 BST 2009

Hi Guy,

OK thanks, I'm glad you managed to get it working for you and hopefully being useful!

On the CPU vs. Wallclock thing, we have a similar issue particularly seen as some of your software works by submitting a single job, which then spawns loads of other jobs and waits for them to complete, sitting idle while it does.

That's why I had the script calc totals for both the CPU and Wallclock for working out utilisation. We tend to go off SGE's Wallclock time, on the basis that as long as a core/slot is occupied by a one job, even if it's idling, it can't be used by another job.
We use the CPU time to get a feel for how 'efficiently' we're using the cores - as in what percentage of time that the cluster was 'occupied' for was it actually doing calculations.

Thanks,
Chris