[GE users] Windows 2008 Server install Error

pollinger harald.pollinger at sun.com
Tue Jun 2 12:35:26 BST 2009

manju wrote:
> Hi Harald,
>
> Can you please give us some hint on the below issue
>
> here i am talking about joining  windows server 2008 in to sge6.2 u2 farm
>
> 1) How we can do username mapping for sgeadmin and administrator users
> in windows server 2008 based machine, even if we specify different
> username map server the accounts will be different will be different
> since both are local account to the particular machine, is there any
> different method to do this??

As I wrote, I wasn't able to set up NFS on the W2k8 server and I doubt
it's still possible. For Samba or CIFS, the file server does the mapping.

> 2) while installing SGE helper service it gives me access dined error
> and could not start, do we need add any thing in the user assignment
> policy.

Where is the binary located? It must be on a local disk, default is in
the Windows directory.
If you log in to the host as the _local_ Administrator and open a
"Command Prompt" window and enter
C:\> cd Windows
C:\Windows> SGE_Helper_Service.exe -install

What does it print?

> 3) for workaround i have copied entire  farm info in to the local
> machine created exact path but i know its not the way to do but any
> ways to read the files using CIFS(makes this connection presistent
> always), NFS mounter not working properly for us (/net).

/net is not a NFS mounter, it's the general network mounter. It makes
all network shares accessible the "network" folder of the Windows
Explorer shows.

> Overall i can say installation remains same almost but some important
> configuration like username mapping/NFS access should be addressed in
> some where in the grid engine site especially for windows server
> 2008/vista etc.

The newest documentation has a chapter for SUA installation where it
also describes how Samba/CIFS shares can be used. Probably I have to
make clearer that this section applies for Windows 2k8 Server.

Regards,
Harald

http://www.sun.com/gridware
mailto:harald.pollinger at sun.com