[GE users] SGE noobie

pollinger harald.pollinger at sun.com
Tue Jun 2 12:47:22 BST 2009

Well, there is definitely something wrong.

biostat wrote:
> I tried everything you said. The results of qstat -f are:
>
> queuename                      qtype used/tot. load_avg arch
> states
>  qmaster BIP   0/2       0.24     darwin-x86
>  exec1 BIP   0/1       0.00     darwin-ppc
>  exec2 BIP   0/1       0.00     darwin-ppc
>  exec3 BIP   0/1       -NA-     darwin-x86    au
>  exec4 BIP   0/2       0.20     darwin-x86    dEs
>
> the problem I was originally having, that "null object" error, was
> originally only on exec3. Then just yesterday, in the middle of a
> run, exec4 starting throwing the same error. Not only that, but when
> I tried the 'qconf -mhgrp @allhosts' command on my qmaster (which is
> also an execution host), it gave me this error, after a fairly long
> hang:
>
> [qmaster] sge% ./qconf -mhgrp @allhosts error getting temporary file
> name: File name too long

What is the content of your $TMPDIR environment variable?
What type of file system does it point to?

Could you please check all of your binaries are of the right verion?
This prints the versions:
# $SGE_ROOT/bin/$ARCH/sge_qmaster -help | head -1
# $SGE_ROOT/bin/$ARCH/sge_execd -help | head -1
# $SGE_ROOT/bin/$ARCH/sge_shepherd -help | head -1
# $SGE_ROOT/bin/$ARCH/qconf -help | head -1
# $SGE_ROOT/bin/$ARCH/qstat -help | head -1
# $SGE_ROOT/bin/$ARCH/qsub -help | head -1

Regards,
Harald

http://www.sun.com/gridware
mailto:harald.pollinger at sun.com